Alumni Spotlight: How the Master of Science in Pharmacology Program Helped Jens Thomas Escobar Start His Career and Care for Family While Earning a Degree

“Attending the Master of Science in Pharmacology program at UC Irvine was an integral choice in my life that I would choose again in a heartbeat,” said Jens Thomas Escobar, a 2023 alumnus of the UCI School of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences’ Master of Science in Pharmacology (MSP) program. Escobar also earned his bachelor’s degree in biology at UCI.

“During my last quarter of undergrad at UCI, I knew that I wanted to pursue a master’s degree in a field that combined both research and biology. I had a particular interest in chemical structures and their effects on the human body. The MSP program was perfect for me, as classes focused on analyzing drug structures, their interactions with other drugs, and their long-term effects on the body,” he explained. “As I learned more about the MSP program, I felt that it was the right choice for me — the individual academic structure and remote schedule allowed me to pursue professional experience while studying for my master’s.”

As he was completing the MSP program, Escobar was able to work an internship at Applied Medical, which eventually became his full-time job. He is currently employed at the medical device manufacturing company as a clinical development analyst.

The ability to work while studying is not the only benefit that Escobar gained from the 100% virtual structure of the program.

“I am my grandmother’s caretaker, and this gave me time to study in the morning and focus on my grandmother after I was done. I was also able to prioritize my mother by tending to the house — she works night shift as a nurse. It allowed me to grow closer to my family while making sure they were taken care of,” he shared.

A comprehensive educational program and remote classes that gave him a chance to fulfill other responsibilities while enrolled were essential to Escobar. His time in the MSP program also offered an opportunity to form meaningful relationships with faculty, industry professionals, and fellow students.

“The faculty were truly rooting for our success, both professionally and personally,” Escobar stated, expressing appreciation for the professors who were responsive and always available to work one-on-one with students. “The connections I’ve made and people I have met during the MSP program helped me advance in my career. They have all been supportive of me and my endeavors, which is one of the best outcomes of this program.”