Amanda Tran Becomes Anteaters in Pharmacy Board Member

Amanda Tran is one of the newest members of the Anteaters in Pharmacy (AIP) alumni board! Tran earned her B.S. in Biology from University of California, Irvine in 2012 before entering the Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) program at UC San Francisco. Today, she works as an ambulatory care pharmacist specializing in diabetes management at the Mary & Dick Allen Diabetes Center at Hoag Hospital. Her research is focused on pharmacological treatments and technology for diabetes management.

Tran hopes to use her time on the AIP board to hold more events and expand opportunities for mentorship and connectivity within the alumni network.

“I want to be able to help foster relationships between mentors and mentees — relationships that will last past the one year that they will spend together in this program — especially interdisciplinary relationships, as this year the mentorship program is expanding to multiple professional programs,” she stated.

Some of her ideas for the upcoming year include hosting social and professional gatherings, such as roundtables and panel board discussions, where undergraduate students, current pharmacy students, and alumni can meet and build connections. 

The relationships Tran formed during her time at UC Irvine informed her decision to join the Anteaters in Pharmacy alumni board and help current students experience the benefits of mentorship. The AIP mentorship program allows students to get in touch with accomplished alumni who can provide advice, guidance, and opportunities.

“My memories at UCI have all been positive, and my friends and the mentors that I established wonderful relationships with as an undergraduate student truly inspired me to be the best me that I could be,” she said. “I have this unexplainable attachment to UCI and a passion to give back to this community as much as it provided me.”

Tran shared that herself and her fellow board members welcome any ideas that UCI alumni and students have for future AIP events. For more information about the UCI School of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences alumni program and to join Anteaters in Pharmacy, you can visit https://pharmsci.uci.edu/alumni/ today.