UCI School of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences PharmD Application FAQ

If you are interested in applying for the Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) program at the UCI School of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences, now is the time!

We understand that you likely have a lot of questions about the application process, so we have provided answers to the most common inquiries below.

What is the deadline to apply for the PharmD program?

The application window for the PharmD program begins July 13, 2023 and extends until February 1, 2024. We encourage early application due to rolling admission. Click here to learn about our December 1st priority deadline and the financial perks to applying early.

Where can I begin the application process?

The PharmD application is hosted on PharmCAS. Take a look at their UC Irvine page for more information about our specific program.

What materials do I need to apply?

Via PharmCAS, you will need to submit your application, transcripts, and three letters of recommendation. Additional documents may be requested if you are an international applicant.

Who should I choose to provide my three letters of recommendation?

Your three letters of recommendation should be obtained from people who have had the opportunity to work with you, teach/counsel you, and/or observe you in academic, professional, and volunteer settings, etc. They can be written by professors, employers, advisors, or anyone else who can attest to your work ethic, academic ability, and research endeavors. For comprehensive details, please reference the PharmCAS directory. A list of accepted letters of recommendation is housed under the “Evaluations (Letters of Reference)” category.

What are the admission requirements?

The prerequisite course credits required for admission to the PharmD program are listed below.

You must have passed all prerequisite courses with a minimum of “C” letter grades.

How will I know if the courses I have taken will satisfy admissions prerequisites requirements?

Visit our list of course equivalencies (click the buttons at the end of the “Admissions Requirements” section of our website’s PharmD page) to search for your enrollment institution. Reviewed and approved courses are listed. If a course or institution is not evaluated, feel free to email pharmd@uci.edu. The email should include the following information to assist with our review: The name of the institution where courses have been completed (or plan to be completed); course title, prefix, and number; and direct catalog URL with a course description or attached syllabus.

What should my GPA be to be considered eligible?

We have a preferred GPA of 3.0 or above to meet the general requirements of UCI Graduate Division.

My bachelor’s degree is in a field that is not relevant to the study of pharmacy. Can I still apply for the PharmD program?

Yes! We will review applications from students with a bachelor’s degree in any field. Whether you completed the Bachelor of Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences at UCI or majored in something else, your application will be considered!

Do I need to complete another application in addition to the PharmCAS process?

In previous years, our PharmD application process has required prospective students to complete two applications: One through PharmCAS, and one through UCI Graduate Division. We are happy to report that both applications have been consolidated into the PharmCAS application. However, please note that a supplemental application fee to UCI Graduate Division is required. Both PharmCAS and UCI Graduate Division offer a fee waiver application. To learn more, click here.

Do I need to complete the PCAT to apply for the PharmD program?

Prospective UCI PharmD students do not need to complete the Pharmacy College Admission Test (PCAT). PCAT scores will not be evaluated in the admissions consideration review.

I am currently a student pharmacist. Are transfer students accepted to the UCI PharmD program?

We do not offer a transfer program. Therefore, any student pharmacist entering our program will need to restart the pharmacy curriculum from year one.

When will I hear if I have been accepted to the PharmD program?

There is a rolling admission process for the PharmD program. Our committees strive to provide admissions decisions as soon as possible (approximately two to three weeks from the date of interview), although committee decision times can vary.

Where can I find more information about applying for the PharmD program at UCI?

An overview of our school’s PharmD program can be found here. PharmCAS provides complete application instructions for your reference. You can also view the UC Irvine page on the PharmCAS website. Upcoming virtual information sessions/faculty spotlights are posted on our events calendar.

Who can I contact for further details?

Have more questions? Our team would be happy to help you! You can get in touch with the PharmD Admissions Office at pharmd@uci.edu.