Graduating Senior Steven Nguyen Aims to Pursue PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences After Commencement

Q: What inspired you to get your bachelor’s degree in pharmaceutical sciences at UCI?

Ever since I was in elementary school, I was fascinated with biology, especially with how the human body worked so after high school I knew I wanted to do something related to that.

When I was doing my college apps in high school, UCI was one of my top schools since it was highly ranked and relatively close to home. The pharmaceutical sciences department caught my eye because the idea of learning about cutting edge pharmaceutical therapies greatly interested me.

Q: What type of involvements have you participated in at UCI?

During my third year at UCI, I joined a research lab led by Dr. Lauren Albrecht. We are currently studying targeted protein degradation by methylation. Due to COVID, I was unable to get any wet lab experience but ever since joining the Albrecht Lab, I have learned so much, not just about the standard lab techniques, but also about coming up with novel ideas and analyzing cellular models.

Q: How has your experience in the undergraduate pharmaceutical sciences program at UCI contributed to your growth?

All the professors at UCI are wonderful and they have given me so much insight on what is currently being investigated in the field and what the future holds. The program has done a wonderful job of allocating faculty members that are the best in the field with classes of that same topic.

Q:  What do you hope to do after you graduate with your B.S. in pharmaceutical sciences?

I hope to continue my education with a PhD degree in Pharmaceutical Sciences here at UCI. I am excited to pursue a project that I can call my own that may hopefully one day make it into the clinical setting in order to help patients.

Q: What advice or insight do you have for prospective students considering an undergraduate degree in pharmaceutical sciences?

Since the pharmaceutical sciences degree encompasses many aspects, many undergraduates in the program struggle with finding what their future careers may be whether it be a physician, nurse, pharmacist, or scientist. My advice would be to get involved in clubs, research opportunities, or faculty members.

Q: Is there anything else you’d like to share?

I would like to thank my parents for their constant support. Without them, I would not be where I am today. I would also like to thank Professor Albrecht who showed me the research aspect of developing future therapeutics and the joy of making discoveries.