Transfer Student Kelsey Lee Discovers Passion for Research at UCI

Q: What inspired you to want to get your bachelor’s degree in pharmaceutical sciences at UC Irvine?

When I graduated from high school, I knew that I wanted to pursue a STEM-related degree and career; however, I wasn’t sure what particular program I wanted to study. I began to work on an associate degree for transfer in biology and chemistry at community college.

I was exposed to many transfer opportunities, one of which was the pharmaceutical science program at UCI. I immediately gravitated towards it. It incorporated multiple components that I was passionate about and was the perfect blend of applicable chemistry and health science.

Q: What types of involvements have you participated in at UCI?

One of my biggest involvements at UCI has been my undergraduate research. I currently work in the Schriner Lab! We are studying the yeast species Saccharomyces cerevisiae as a model to study the underlying process of aging.

As an Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program fellow, my personal project this past academic year has been to investigate the toxic effects of spermidine on yeast that have been deprived of their mitochondrial DNA.

Q: How has your experience in the undergraduate pharmaceutical sciences program at UCI contributed to your growth?

I have been fortunate to learn so much from the variety of professors in the department. Being taught from the pharmacological perspective has allowed me to grow and become passionate about understanding how the human body works. It has opened my eyes to many career opportunities in both industrial and clinical settings. I feel prepared to make meaningful decisions about my future.

Q: What do you hope to do after you graduate with your B.S. in pharmaceutical sciences?

I eventually hope to continue my education with either a master’s or PhD. First, I am going to take a gap year and work for a biotechnology company. I want to gain some experience and insight in that line of work and use that experience to determine what kind of graduate program I will pursue. I am interested in doing my own research in the future!

Q: What advice or insight do you have for prospective students considering an undergraduate degree in pharmaceutical sciences?

My advice for incoming students would be to browse the pharmaceutical science curriculum. I think that this program is unique in the courses it offers. I would also suggest getting to know the faculty and any research they might be doing.

The department is small and intimate, so it is the perfect opportunity to form relationships and network. Also, the knowledge and life experiences that the faculty have to offer is beneficial to your future. And lastly, while academic rigor is a vital aspect of continuing education, having fun and making friends is too!

Q: Is there anything else you’d like to share?

I am very grateful to my family who have supported me in pursuing a degree in hard science; My dad whose service in the military was able to financially provide my education, and my mom who was my biggest cheerleader when times were hard. Biology and chemistry might not be their passion, but they never questioned my ability to succeed. I am also indebted to Dr. Schriner and his graduate student Vince Su for taking a chance on me and giving me an opportunity to support their research.