PhD Student Spotlight: Katrina Mogannam Aims to Make a Positive Impact Through Scientific Discoveries and Student Leadership Positions

Katrina Mogannam is a PhD in Pharmacological Sciences student in the UC Irvine School of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences who is spending her time in the program to study the genetic basis of life on Earth, while using her initiatives as a student leader to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout UCI.

“I grew up in Orange County and was always aware of UCI’s outstanding reputation,” said Mogannam. “Upon exploring the PhD in Pharmacological Sciences program, I discovered that its multidisciplinary and collaborative nature aligns with my goal of pursuing innovative scientific discoveries.”

As part of the research team in the Lupták Lab, Mogannam is focused on furthering the understanding of key biological processes: “My work uses biochemical experimentation to investigate the energetics involved with DNA replication, looking at the mechanistic origins of genome replication. Research into life and its origins is essential for us to better understand the basic principles that life is built on.”

Before enrolling at UCI, Mogannam earned her Bachelor of Science in Chemistry (with an emphasis in biochemistry) from San Diego State University. Additionally, she minored in leadership (as well as honors interdisciplinary studies) during her time at SDSU. She applies her education in leadership and passion for diversity, equity, and inclusion to support her fellow students and the greater UCI community. 

Mogannam is a member of the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee; program representative; and peer mentor, as well as a Diverse Educational Community and Doctoral Experience (DECADE) Student Representative. She was also selected to receive a Rose Hills Foundation Science & Engineering Fellowship for the 2023-2024 academic year.

“At UCI, I have a lot of opportunities to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion through various outreach and leadership positions,” she said. “It has been incredible to participate in the recruitment and retention of students through outreach and mentorship and the coordination of social and wellness events within each of these groups.”

Mogannam will graduate from the PhD program in June 2026. For now, she is dedicated to building on what she has started at UCI, in the lab and beyond.

“I hope to publish impactful research that serves to benefit society and use my leadership positions to make a positive impact in my community. Having a supportive community has been essential to my academic success, and I hope to help uphold the welcoming community at UCI,” she shared. “I am fortunate to have met incredible people — professors, peers, and staff — who have been a key support system. The friends that I have made are truly lifelong friendships, and the scientific discoveries occurring around me are inspirational.”