Women Pharmacist Day with Dr. Tiffany Phung

“I find great fulfillment in what I do, and I don’t dwell on obstacles. Putting the patient first is my primary focus, and everything else falls into place accordingly,” said Dr. Tiffany Phung, UCI Health Outpatient Specialty Pharmacy Manager.

Dr. Phung immigrated to the United States from Vietnam at 2 years old, living in a refugee camp after her family was given one day of notice to leave their home country. They were eventually sponsored by a church in Middle America, and Dr. Phung went on to get her bachelor’s degree in biology from UC Irvine and earn her Doctor of Pharmacy from the University of the Pacific.

She has worked in pharmacy for 25 years, beginning her career in a community pharmacy where she was promptly promoted to a management position. She worked in the inpatient pharmacy at a 100-bed hospital as well.

“However, it was in Specialty Pharmacy at Costco where I discovered my true calling,” she stated. “The combination of ambulatory and outpatient practices allowed me to make a significant impact, with unwavering dedication and a strong work ethic. I advanced to the position of Director at Kroger Specialty Pharmacy, which opened doors for me in Health Systems Pharmacy at UCI. I started by assisting our physician specialist in addressing the challenges faced by patients in specialty pharmacy.”

In her current role, Dr. Phung oversees outpatient, specialty pharmacy, and the discharge/”meds-to-beds” program. She is also a member of the Strategic Planning Committee for the School of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences.

“I collaborate closely with healthcare providers, the executive team, and pharmacy leadership, leveraging my expertise to bring about positive changes in the lives of our patients,” she said. “I feel privileged to bring my unique perspective to the Strategic Planning Committee, with the hopes of inspiring the next generation of pharmacists and shaping the future of the profession.”

She shared some insight into her own career and the world of pharmacy for Women Pharmacist Day, which is celebrated on October 12 to celebrate the achievements of women in the pharmacy industry.

What inspired you to pursue a career in pharmacy?

“I saw it as an opportunity to strike a balance between my professional and personal life. I could still positively impact people’s lives without compromising too much on my personal commitments.”

What are some challenges you have faced as a woman in pharmacy?

“I’ve encountered preconceived notions about how hard I would work, especially being a young female with family responsibilities. Additionally, ascending to higher executive positions can be more challenging. Balancing personal time with my son while meeting the demands of work has also been a significant challenge.”

What advice do you have for women and girls who are interested in pharmacy?

“Stick with it and find what brings you joy and purpose.”

Why, in your opinion, is Women Pharmacist Day important? 

“It serves as a testament to how far we’ve come. Pharmacy used to be predominantly male dominated, and this day highlights the strides women have made in the profession.”