First-Generation Pharmaceutical Sciences Student Yadhira Garcia Excels at UCI and Dreams of Earning PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences

Q: What inspired you to want to get your bachelor’s degree in pharmaceutical sciences at UCI?

I have always enjoyed the sciences, specifically chemistry, and when my chemistry teachers in high school noticed my fascination in our medicinal chemistry chapters they encouraged me to apply as a pharmaceutical sciences major.

I found it a great mix of chemistry and biology, the best of both worlds. Aside from the pharmaceutical sciences program, UC Irvine also has a beautiful campus and so many resources for students which also attracted me to the school.

Q: What types of involvements have you participated in at UCI?

I am currently in a research lab here at UCI with Dr. Lauren Albrecht which has been an amazing experience. UCI gave me the tools to be able to join a lab at the undergraduate level and learn what it means to be a scientist.

I have also been a seminar assistant for a few years for PharmSci 1, a class that educates freshman undergraduates on what courses they will need to take among other skills needed to succeed at the university.

I then decided I wanted to have a larger impact and co-teach a smaller class called Catalyst that I benefited from my freshman year here. Freshman undergraduates who were first generation, minority groups and of low income were provided with extra resources as well as a safe space for concerns about being in a four year university.

I also work at the Division of Career Pathways office on campus and was given the opportunity to attend the All-University Leadership Conference through my job.

Q: How has your experience in the undergraduate pharmaceutical sciences program at UCI contributed to your growth?

In the pharmaceutical sciences program, I feel supported by so many people in the department I can turn to if I ever need any advice and have made my experience so much more positive.

As a first-generation student I was lost my freshman year, not having anyone to turn to who understood being at a four-year university and having a support system within pharmaceutical sciences has made my undergraduate experience amazing.

Q: What do you hope to do after you graduate with your B.S. in pharmaceutical sciences?

I plan to pursue a PhD in pharmaceutical sciences and continue my passion for research. Being in the pharmaceutical sciences program and working at the Division of Career Pathways prepared me to graduate and pursue a career in research.

I hope to inspire more first-generation Latinas who want to pursue a career in STEM not only by telling my story but also by making a difference in the research community in the future.

Q: What advice or insight do you have for incoming high school or transfer students considering an undergraduate degree in pharmaceutical sciences?

Never give up; whatever is meant to be will be. I had planned to major in chemistry at a different university which I could not attend and thought that it was a setback but being in the pharmaceutical sciences program at UCI has been the most amazing experience and I know now this is where I was meant to be.

I never thought I would go into research but I have learned so much. Pharmaceutical sciences will prepare you for not only the pharmaceutical industry, but also, if you want to be in the medical field, in research, or in a multitude of careers which is such a great aspect of being in this major.

Q: Is there anything else you’d like to share?

I want to thank all the females in my life who have inspired me to pursue a higher education in science, my high school chemistry teachers, my PI Dr. Albrecht, and my academic and career counselors here at UCI who believed in me.